Kota boy ended life after changing tagline to ‘bored from life’

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Kota
  • Updated: Oct 15, 2015 13:08 IST
Sidhartha Chaudhary committed suicide in Kota on Tuesday. (AH Zaidi/HT photo)

A medical aspirant, who committed suicide in Kota on Tuesday, allegedly for not being able to cope with performance pressure, had changed his Whatsapp tagline to “Bored from life,” his father said on Wednesday.

The parents reached Kota on Wednesday and performed their son’s last rites in the city itself.

Sidhartha Chaudhary, 18, hailed from Bihar and had joined a coaching centre in Kota to prepare for the medical examination. His body was found hanging from the ceiling fan of a rented apartment in Talwandi area of the city on Tuesday.

Chaudhary is the second suicide case in Kota this month. Earlier on October 2, 17-year-old Tarachand Sirvi, another coaching institute student, had killed himself in the city.

His father Ashish, who works as a clerk with Ramdayalu Singh College of Muzzafarpur (Bihar), told HT that his son probably took the extreme step due to illness (typhoid and dengue) which deprived him of about seven months of studies. He denied that there was any pressure from them on him regarding the studies. The decision to receive coaching in Kota was jointly taken by the family, including Sidhartha, Ashish said.

Sidhartha last talked to his mother Minakshi on October 11 and asked her to leave her teaching job and stay with him in Kota until his coaching was over. But, when she expressed her inability to do so, he hung up the phone and didn’t answer any calls later. His father said, “Probably our son committed suicide in the heat of the moment.”

However, his Whatsapp tagline and last conversation with his mother showed that Sidhartha was homesick, depressed and had been under a lot of pressure to perform, sources said, seconding the police theory. Sidhartha had scored 76% marks in Class 10 in 2014. The parents sent him to Kota in June 2014 to receive coaching for medical entrance examination. They last visited him when they brought him back to Kota on September 25 this year from Muzaffarpur after dengue recovery.

Owner of Sidhartha’s rented accommodation, MS Khandelwal, said that the boy was introvert and usually avoided the company of others staying along separately.

also read

Rajasthan: Cops douse pyre, pull out body to probe suspicious death
Show comments