Rajasthan: Kin blame admin for death of boy trapped in borewell
The four-year-old boy who fell into a borewell in Nikaj village of Alwar district was pulled out by the rescue team in the early hours on Wednesday, but doctors at the district hospital declared him dead on arrival.jaipur Updated: Nov 05, 2015 17:08 IST
The four-year-old boy who fell into a borewell in Nikaj village of Alwar district was pulled out by the rescue team in the early hours on Wednesday, but doctors at the district hospital declared him dead on arrival.
While the district authorities didn’t clarify whether Priyanshu was pulled out dead, a doctor who conducted the post mortem examination on the body suggested the boy could have died of suffocation inside the well hours ago.
The victim’s family, who were handed over the body after the autopsy, expressed dissatisfaction over the administration’s efforts to rescue the boy.
Mool Chand Jatav, Priyanshu’s grandfather, said the administration took 12-13 hours to pull him out from 45-foot-deep borewell.
The boy had fallen into the borewell around 2 pm on Tuesday and was pulled out at 2 am on Wednesday.
“First they (rescue personnel) reached late. I informed them at 2.30 pm (Tuesday) but JCB machines came only after two hours. They were so slow that they could dig only 30 feet in seven hours,” Jatav alleged.
However, Alwar district magistrate Mukta Nand Agarwal, who was present at the site of rescue operation, dismissed the allegation of slow rescue work. He said a team had been immediately rushed to the village after getting information.
“We all tried our best to save the child. I think the condition of the child was such that he died due to suffocation and could not survive for a long time despite being supplied oxygen with the help of a pipe,” the DM said.
He added a team of doctors with ambulance was deployed to handle any eventuality, and the boy was rushed to Alwar only after doctors’ opinion.
Dr Ravi Mathur, who conducted the autopsy, said the boy had died around seven hours before he was pulled out and the cause of death was asphyxiation.
The family questioned why the administration did not declare the boy dead upon retrieval from the borewell and instead rushed him to hospital.