Salman Khan fails to produce evidence in court
Film actor Salman Khan on Monday failed to produce any evidence in his defence in the 16-year-old Arms Act case pending against him before a local court in Jodhpur (Rajasthan).jaipur Updated: Dec 09, 2014 15:53 IST
Film actor Salman Khan on Monday failed to produce any evidence in his defence in the 16-year-old Arms Act case pending against him before a local court in Jodhpur (Rajasthan).
For a final argument in the matter, the court has fixed the next hearing for December 16.
“We didn’t produce defence witness today before the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court as we have failed to get the news clipping of a newspaper willing to produce the evidence in our favour,” HM Saraswat, counsel for Khan said.
Saraswat said that he will argue on the subject directly during next hearing scheduled.
Salman’s counsel wanted to produce a clipping of the newspaper published from Ajmer in his client’s defence.
It was pleaded before the court that news about the poaching of two blackbucks by Khan in Kankani village was published on October 4, 1998 and reacting to this, the forest department on October 6, 1998 had written a letter to the editor of the newspaper asking for details of the poaching.
This is important as the department had already filed a case against Khan before October 6 but contacted the newspaper for details (to serve as proof) at a later date.
“We didn’t get the copy of this newspaper, so we urged the court to fix the date for final arguments,” Saraswat said, adding that Chief Judicial Magistrate (Jodhpur district) Anupama Bijlani has fixed the next hearing on December 16.
Apart from three poaching cases, the 48-year-old actor was also booked for possessing firearms with an expired license in 1998 during the filming of the movie Hum Saath Saath Hain.