Three deaths in 12 hrs trigger protests at Rajasthan hospital | jaipur | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Three deaths in 12 hrs trigger protests at Rajasthan hospital

jaipur Updated: Jun 04, 2016 15:58 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Alwar

People protest in front of the Government Janana Hospital in Alwar on Friday.(HT photo)

Protests rocked the Government Janana Hospital in Alwar on Friday after a pregnant woman died due to alleged negligence and another woman passed away after giving birth to a stillborn. Family members of the two women blocked a road in front of the hospital.

Pregnant Radha Jatav was admitted to the Government Janana Hospital after she complained of breathing difficulties around 4am on Friday. She died an hour later. Her brother-in-law Sunil alleged that neither a doctor nor nursing staff came to see her after repeated requests.

This annoyed the woman’s relatives who gathered at the main Road causing traffic jams. They withdrew their protest after the police officials and sub-divisional magistrate Rajesh Goyal assured them of taking action against the guilty.

On Thursday morning, Laxmi (23) of Untwal village in Ramgarh tehsil was admitted to the hospital for delivery. The woman died after giving birth to a dead child in the evening.

As the news spread, her relatives blocked the main road in Bijali Ghar Circle against the negligence in treatment. They alleged they called doctors but no one came.

The protesters agreed to lift the blockade and take the bodies of the child and her mother home after the sub-divisional magistrate and police officials met them.

The incident occurred days after 16 newborns died at Ajmer’s Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital, one of the largest in the region. Five newborns had died at the hospital in a single day, on May 15. More deaths followed, prompting the NCPCR to order an inquiry. The Rajasthan high court also took suo motu cognisance of the deaths to order an independent probe.

A committee of three doctors will investigate Thursday evening’s incident while the sub-divisional magistrate was to submit his report about the pregnant woman’s death to the Alwar district magistrate on the Friday evening.

Sub-divisional magistrate Goyal told HT it was a matter of grief that three deaths occurred in less than 12 hours.

Goyal said he came to know about the incident from public and felt that the behaviour of the doctors and nursing staff was not up to the mark.

The officer said he would propose for installation of CCTV cameras in every ward and inspection of a senior doctor every day.