Three rounds of talks fail, fourth today | jaipur | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Three rounds of talks fail, fourth today

jaipur Updated: Jun 01, 2007 04:09 IST
KS Tomar
KS Tomar
Highlight Story

A third round of discussions between representatives of the Gujjar Sanghrash Samiti (GSS) and four state cabinet ministers, to solve the crisis that has engulfed Rajasthan, failed on Thursday evening at the Ministry of Health premises here.

A fourth round of talks has been scheduled for Friday, Rajasthan Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria said late in the evening.

The Gujjar community was demanding a written assurance from the state government that it would recommend their case for inclusion in the Scheduled tribe (ST) category to the Centre.

The venue of the talks was shifted from Dausa to Jaipur after the first two rounds failed. The GSS leaders were brought in a government bus escorted by three police jeeps. Colonel Kirori Singh Baisela, chairman of the GSS, told the Hindustan Times over telephone that the venue was shifted to ensure the safety of the ministerial team. “It makes no difference to our negotiating team,” he said.

“The two rounds of discussions held in Dausa helped narrow down differences on certain points, which should help clinch a deal on the current issue,” Colonel Baisela said.

“We have put four demands before the ministerial team: payment of Rs 50 lakh in compensation to the next of kin of each of those killed in the police firing on Tuesday, employment to one member of each affected family, a judicial probe by a high court judge into the violence, and a copy of the letter recommending the case of the Gujjar community to the Centre,” he added.

“The ministers have sought some time to get clearance from Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje about the four demands put forth by the Gujjar leaders,” he said.

Colonel Baisela said he was optimist about the outcome of the dialogue. But in case it failed, he said that the community would continue its movement for an indefinite period.

The government and Gujjars have been in talks since Wednesday midnight.