Even as there are specific government guidelines in place, sanitation workers in the city continue to burn garbage in the open to save themselves from the hassle of carrying the waste to the dumpsite.
On Monday, sanitation workers were spotted burning garbage near Sain Dass Senior Secondary School, Patel Chowk.
When the fire went out of control, residents called a fire brigade team which has extinguished the raging flames.
Burning of garbage in the open poses serious threat to the environment and the people's health as it emits huge smoke.
It also may lead to some untoward incident if some other thing would catch the fire.
Similar incidents have been reported from various localities of the city while the Municipal Corporation Jalandhar (MCJ) has failed to check this.
As per the Municipal Solid Waste (Management &Handling) Rule, 2000, Environmental Management and Protection Act, 2002 and The Clean Air Act, garbage-burning is strictly prohibited.
MC assistant health officer Dr Varinder Kalia said, "We have given strict instructions to the staff not to burn garbage or a strict action will be taken the erring workers."
"We have also deployed supervisors and sanitary inspectors to ensure that nobody burns garbage. If anybody does this, they should immediately take strict action against him," he added.
He claimed that it was not only their staff which resorted to burning garbage but residents were also responsible for this since they threw flammable on waste causing fire.
Several incidents of fire due to burning of garbage have been reported in the past few months in various parts of the city. Fire spread burning the nearby green belt and new a car parked near the local bus stand.