20-year-old gang-raped by three barmen for three weeks at gunpoint | kolkata | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

20-year-old gang-raped by three barmen for three weeks at gunpoint

kolkata Updated: Dec 16, 2014 09:02 IST

A 20-year-old married girl was abducted, confined in a room and gang-raped for three weeks at gunpoint before she managed to escape and lodge a police complaint.

The incident took place at Baguiati between November 9 and December 1.

Although the Baguiati police station has registered an FIR against three people, no one has been arrested. The accused have been identified as Pervez, Afsar and Prasanta, all employees of a local bar.

“I was helpless. They not only raped me for days, but also made videos and took pictures. They threatened me at gunpoint, confined me in a room for days together and even forced me to get into prostitution. When I refused, I was beaten up,” Sunderjeet Ghosh (name changed) said. A case (No. 762/14) has been lodged under sections 376, 325, 344, 389 and other sections of the IPC.

“The police registered an FIR on December 12 under sections relating to abduction, rape, taking indecent photographs for blackmailing and others,” Rajesh Choudhury, the victim’s advocate, said.

Bidhannagar Police commissio-ner Rajeev Kumar said he was not aware of any such incident although Baguiati PS is under his jurisdiction. S Nimbalkar, additional deputy commissioner, was not available for comments.

According to the victim’s statement to the police, she and her husband, who owns a hotel at Rajarhat, are residents of North Kolkata. On November 8, she went to Baguiati for shopping. The three accused were known to her. They chatted with her and then whisked her away in a vehicle.

She was taken to an apartment near Teghoria and forced to drink fruit juice laced with sedatives. The victim, who was kept confined in the apartment for days, was raped repeatedly by Pervez and Afsar. A few days later, she was taken to a hotel at Baguiati, where Prasanta, who runs a band at another hotel, tried to force her into prostitution.

“I tried to find her desperately. Her cellphone was switched off from November 8. I called up all her relatives but she wasn’t there. I went to the police station several times, but the cops there refused to look into it, saying they needed to verify everything. Even now, I’m receiving threats asking me to keep quiet,” Ramen Ghosh (name changed), the victim’s husband, said.

From the Baguiati hotel, she was brought back to the apartment and raped repeatedly. Finally, on December 1, she managed to escape and reached her husband’s house. On December 12, the couple lodged a complaint at Baguiati police station.