Army withdrawn from Kolkata
The army was withdrawn from violence-hit central Kolkata this afternoon after the restoration of normal life in the area.kolkata Updated: Nov 23, 2007 17:37 IST
The army was withdrawn from violence-hit central Kolkata this afternoon after the restoration of normal life in the area.
"All the four columns of the army which had been deployed have been withdrawn this afternoon after the restoration of peace and normalcy in central Kolkata," West Bengal Home Secretary PR Roy told reporters at the state secretariat on Friday.
The Army had been called out to stage a flagmarch on the streets of central Kolkata covering five police station areas on Wednesday afternoon after large-scale violence during a three-hour shutdown called by the All India Minority Forum demanding cancellation of the visa of the controversial Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen and protest against the Nandigram violence.
The violence had led to the clamping of an eight-hour night curfew in the area on Wednesday night, which was lifted following improvement in the situation.
City Police Commissioner Goutam Mohan Chakraborty said the city remained peaceful for the second day today as the army conducted joint patrolling with police in area.
Four columns of the army conducted flag march and joint patrolling with city police at Moulali, Mullickbazar, Ripon Street, Park Circus, Topsia, Beniapukur and adjacent areas throughout last night, Chakraborty said.
As no incident of violence was reported from the areas since Thursday, the army was kept on stand by this morning. The city police reviewed the entire situation and apprised the state government of it, he said.