Bangladesh's most wanted missing after given bail | kolkata | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bangladesh's most wanted missing after given bail

kolkata Updated: Aug 23, 2012 11:38 IST
Ravik Bhattacharya

One of Bangladesh’s most wanted fugitives, the founder leader of New Biplobi Communist Party, has gone missing soon after being released on bail from Dum Dum Central Jail on August 8.

Sailen Biswas, who has 75 criminal cases pending against him in Bangladesh, was whisked away in a Tata Sumo from the jail gate within minutes of his release, his family members have alleged. His wife Sima has told Barasat court that Sailen could be eliminated by the security agencies. The court, while ordering an investigation, has asked the district intelligence branch to submit a report by August 30.

Sailen, who was arrested from Habra (in North 24 Parganas) in connection with an arms case, was sent to judicial custody on April 8. He fled from Bangladesh in 2003 after Dhaka launched ‘Operation Clean Heart’ to crack down on armed outfits.

Sailen has been living on the outskirts of Kolkata by the name of Pradip Biswas for the past 10 years with valid residential documents. “I am not aware of the case. I will look into it,” IG prisons Ranvir Kumar told HT on Wednesday.

“We believe it was some investigating agency, or police, that picked up my father. They might have hid him somewhere and could eliminate him. There is also a possibility that he might be sent to Bangladesh, where he may be killed,” Sailen’s son Mrinmoy alleged.

Rejecting claims that Sailen was a criminal, Mrinmoy said, “My father worked for common people, including minority Hindus. Therefore, dozens of cases were slapped against him. He crossed over in 2000 and was living a peaceful life as an Indian citizen.”

Sailen, from Khulna, is wanted in connection with 54 criminal cases in Khulna, Satkhira and Jessore districts apart from 21 cases of murder, kidnapping and extortion in Dumuria. Even inside Bengal, the trail of crimes dogged him and he has been charged with both murder and possession of arms.

“We have lodged a complaint against the jailor and all those who abducted Sailen. The second judicial magistrate has asked district intelligence branch to probe into it. The court also sought a report from the jail authorities. We think it’s a conspiracy by the jail authorities and security agencies. The life of my client is in great risk,” said Sailen’s advocate Nimai Roy.

According to his wife, the court granted him bail on August 8. Accordingly, his son went to receive him at the jail around 5pm, only to find a Tata Sumo car with a ‘Police’ logo (number WB-02P-6233) parked near the gate.

Contrary to expectations, the family members were not allowed to meet Sailen. Instead, his head was covered with a black cloth and five people whisked him away.
“We were not allowed to get close to him. The people who took him away also spoke to jail guards and officers. Later, when we rushed to the gate, we were told that the ‘CID’ took him. But if he was arrested, he should have been produced in court by now,” argued Mrinmoy.