The CBI will submit an interim report on the March 14 police firing in Nandigram before the Calcutta High Court on Monday and seek more time for probe into the case, Special Director, Makhan Lal Sharma said on Sunday.
"Our investigation is yet not over and so we will submit an interim report to the Calcutta High Court tomorrow as per the directive of the court. We will request the court to provide us another two months so that we can complete our investigation," Sharma told PTI from Delhi.
Earlier on November 16, the Calcutta High Court described the March 14 police firing in Nandigram, in which 14 people were killed and over 100 injured, as "unconstitutional and not justifiable" and directed the CBI to submit a report within one month.
The investigation agency have interrogated four police personnel who were present during the incident and also at least 100 eye-witnesses, sources in CBI said.
The CBI has also managed to get details of telephone conversations between police officers at that time and they need to concentrate on that before coming to any conclusion. "More importantly the witnesses need to be closely examined and so we need some more time," Sharma said.
"The case is eight months old and so there has been physical loss of lots of evidences. We need to carefully examine all aspects of the case before we come to any conclusion. So we need some more time," he said.