A young boy died and nine members of his family fell ill on Thursday due to dropsy, a fatal condition, which arises after consuming, adulterated mustard oil.
The dropsy patients, including five children and five adults, belong to Kalyanpur village in Kaushambi, were brought to the Colvin Hospital in Allahabad. Three children had to be admitted, as their condition was critical.
"The patients' medical reports suggested that they were suffering from dropsy due to consumption of adulterated mustard oil," said Dr Dayaram Verma, CMO Kaushambi.
According to the CMO, all the family members were found suffering from oedema and swelling in face and lower limbs and other symptoms similar to dropsy. He said a boy, Neelesh, could not be saved despite their best efforts.
The CMO said they had also taken samples of mustard oil and dalda ghee, from the patients' home, in Kalyanpur village. "The condition of other family members is stable after treatment," he pointed out.
Dr Satish Agarwal, chief medical superintendent of Colvin Hospitawho, who was treating Neelesh, said the reports suggested that toxic substance had affected the boy's lungs, kidney and heart.