A major fire broke out in a plastic factory on Duke Road in Shalimar, 10 km from here, in the early hours today. Fifteen fire tenders were on the spot trying to douse the flames which was yet to be brought under control. The fire was first noticed at 4 am, locals said.
One person was admitted to Howrah district hospital. Hospital superintendent said the person was being treated for asyphyxia. Fire Brigade personnel said the fire-fighting system at the factory was not functioning. Short circuit might have caused the fire, they said.