A girl died of diarrhoeaon Monday and 40 others were detected with the disease at Garden Reach locality of the city.
Member, Mayor-in-Council (Health) of Kolkata Municipal Corporation, Subodh Dey said, “five-year-old Sahina Anjum died of diarrhoea this morning. The disease is feared to have spread from contamination water due to the ongoing sewer line laying work in the locality.”
Twenty people, mostly slum dwellers, have been admitted to hospital and the rest of those afflicted were being treated in private hospitals, Dey said.
Diarrhoea bacteria were found in the drinking water supplied here by KMC’s Water Supply department, he said.
Angry residents of the worst-affected city wards blocked roads in Garden Reach to protest against the disease outbreak, police said.