Kolkata hospital asked to pay Rs 30 lakh for negligence in treating an infant who died | kolkata | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Kolkata hospital asked to pay Rs 30 lakh for negligence in treating an infant who died

According to the kid’s father, the baby was left unattended for a whole day when she was admitted and was not given any food for more than 12 hours before conducting the test

kolkata Updated: Jun 24, 2017 12:34 IST
IANS
A hospital was asked to pay compensation to the family of an infant for alleged negligence in treatment leading to her death.
A hospital was asked to pay compensation to the family of an infant for alleged negligence in treatment leading to her death. (File photo)

A city private hospital was on Friday asked to cough up Rs 30 lakh as compensation by the West Bengal Clinical Establishment Regulatory Commission (WBCERC) for alleged negligence in treatment of an infant leading to her death.

The city hospital, however, would appeal to the appropriate authorities against the commission’s verdict.

“The commission awards a compensation of Rs 30 lakh to be paid by Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals. Of the said Rs 30 lakh, an amount of Rs 10 lakh to be paid to the complainant parents, on providing the name for receiving such compensation, within a week and the balance Rs 20 lakh in the next three weeks,” the order said.

The commission also mentioned that failure to give compensation in due time by the hospital would make it liable to pay an interest of nine per cent per annum till the payment was fully made.

“We respect the commission. However, with humility we find the verdict is unacceptable and we will appeal against it to the appropriate authorities. Over scrutiny into such complicated decisions taken by doctors trying to save lives at all costs will dampen the true spirit of medical profession,” the hospital’s CEO Rana Dasgupta said.

In April, four-month-old Kuheli Chakraborty, who was admitted to the city’s Apollo Gleneagles Hospital for a colonoscopy, allegedly died of anaesthetic overdose, the patient’s kin said.

According to the kid’s father, the baby was left unattended for a whole day when she was admitted and was not given any food for more than 12 hours before conducting the test.

Following the child’s death, a mob had vandalised the hospital premises.