The Maoists are ready for a ceasefire with the government, but they will not accept Centre's demand to abjure violence, top Maoist leader Kishenji said on Tuesday.
Reacting to Home Secretary G K Pillai's statement that there was a possibility for dialogue with Maoists if they abjured violence, Kishenji said over phone, "Abjuring violence is not on our agenda. We believe in armed struggle."
However, if the government took the initiative the Maoists were ready for a ceasefire, he said. "The government can initiate a ceasefire unilaterally. We are also ready to declare a ceasefire," the elusive leader said.
"We can fix some modalities and after which we can declare ceasefire. If the government is honest and really willing to speak with us then we will co-operate."
Pillai had told a conference last Sunday, "We have taken up (the issue of having dialogue with the Maoists). Home Minister (P Chidambaram) has written to (former Lok Sabha Speaker) Rabi Ray. He said please start. We got some reply. Some dialogue, some process is starting. Let us see. But unless they give up violence I don't think it is possible to talk."
"Rabi Ray has been trying this for quite a long time. Previously he wrote two letters to the Prime Minister, but there was no reply," Kishneji said.