It was his wife's determination that saved Sripada Acharya, 37, who narrowly escaped death as fire engulfed the AMRI hospital building in Kolkata on Friday morning.
Following a bike accident Acharya, a resident of Tripura, was admitted in AMRI hospital, Dhakuria on December 3. On the fateful morning, his wife Munna Acharya, 30, was staying at the hospital waiting room, while her husband was admitted in a ward. "Suddenly at 3.30 pm thick black smoke engulfed the whole place. Worried, I asked the hospital staff what happened and asked them to call the fire brigade. Their reply was 'we are looking at it'," said Munna.
Guessing something was wrong, she took the stairs and went to her husband's ward. "Whole place was engulfed in smoke...everyone was running....I saw a nurse who tried to stop me….I pushed her and went to my husband. At the time my husband was being given saline. I tore off the saline and dragged him through the stairs and brought him outside the hospital," said Munna.
Munna then spread her shawl on the footpath and laid her husband on it. "I immediately placed a call to Tripura Bhavan and help arrived. Later with the help of a car provided by Triupura Bhavan my husband was shifted to AMRI Salt Lake. There was absolutely no help from the hospital authorities," she said.