No relief for Gyanwant in Rizwanur case | kolkata | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No relief for Gyanwant in Rizwanur case

kolkata Updated: Oct 19, 2012 17:59 IST
Deepak Prahladka

A two-judge appeal bench of the Calcutta High Court refused to quash the disciplinary proceeding against the former deputy commissioner of police (headquarters), Gyanwant Singh, in the Rizwanur Rahman case.

Gyanwant has been facing proceeding since 2008 for interfering with the inter-caste marriage of Rizwanur with Priyanka Todi by illegally summoning them to Lalbazar police headquarters without registering any case to separate them at the instance of her father and industrialist, Ashok Todi.

Justices Nishita Mhatre and Soumen Sen, directed the state authorities to conclude the proceeding against Gyanwant within three months and pass appropriate order. The directives came on an appeal filed by Gyanwant through advocates Jaydeep Kar and Tanoy Chakraborty against the order of central administrative tribunal that had refused to quash proceeding against him. Gyanwant's plea was that Priyanka and her uncle Pradip Todi made a statement that they were never summoned by him to Lalbazar.

The state then started a disciplinary proceeding against Gyanwant and also filed a chargesheet in 2008. After three years, Gyanwant move the CAT for quashing of proceeding on the basis of Priyanka's statement. But his petition was rejected. He then appealed to high court.

The case dates back to August 2007, when Rizwanur and Priyanka married and started living together. An aggrieved Ashok Todi approached the senior cops at lalbazar to separate the couple.

Rizwanur and Priyanka were summoned to lalbazar, where the cops allegedly threatened Rizwanur and forced him to sign an agreement for returning Priyanka to her father for a few days, but she was never allowed to go back. On September 21, 2007, Rizwanur's body was found on the railway track near Dum Dum railway station.