A fire broke out at the seminar room of Sambhunath Pandit hospital on Monday morning, making it the third instance in the past nine days when fire accidents took place in a state-run hospital in Bengal.
On August 20, a fire broke out at the operation theatre of a subdivisional hospital in Katwa, Burdwan.
On August 27, two employees of Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital and a three year old patient died in a stampede when a fire broke out just before midday sparking a mad scramble to rush out among the visitors and patients.
Around 11.45 am smoke was seen billowing out of the seminar room located on the first floor of a building.
According to officials, an electrical short circuit triggered the fire.
Five fire engines were deployed to bring the flames under control at the Samphunath Pandit Hospital that was set up in 1902.
The smoke triggered panic among the patients and outdoor department of the hospital was immediately closed following the detection of the fire.
The Mamata Banerjee administration has already handed over the investigation of the fire at Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital to CID to find out whether there was any conspiracy.
Both in the case of Katwa and Murshidabad hospitals, the fire originated from AC machines.
The Murshidabad hospital fire brought back memories of the 2011 AMRI fire in south Kolkata that killed more than 90 patients and employees..
CID arrested Amal Gupta, the vice president of Murshidabad town Congress committee on Sunday night for his alleged links with the fire. The Murshidabad hospital incident has already triggered a volley of political bickering between the ruling party and Congress.