Have a beerilicious summer: quirky beer facts
Move over the plain old pint of beer. Here are some zingy beer facts that will keep your summer blues at bay.lifestyle Updated: Jun 20, 2014 16:11 IST
Move over the plain old pint of beer. Here are some zingy beer facts that will keep your summer blues at bay.
* The oldest known recipe of beer is more than 4000 years old. It was made by Sumerians, one of the earliest urban societies in the world in Southern Mesopotamia
* In the middle ages, beer was consumed more than water because of the ­distillation ­process that made it a much safer option
* A beer lover is called cerevisaphile It’s derived from the Latin name of the Roman Goddess of agriculture, Ceres, and vis, which means strength.
* A collector of beer bottles is called labeorphilist
* The first professional brewers were all women. They were called brewsters and the woman had to be very beautiful to be one
* The first beer bottle was sold in year 1850
* The first US President, George Washington, had his own Brewhouse on the grounds of Mount Vernon
* Snake Venom by a Scottish brewery boasts of being the strongest beer in the world with 67.5% ABV (alcohol by volume)
* In the year 1814 London was ­flooded with 1.4 mn liters of beer after a huge vat ruptured
* White House Honey Ale is the first beer known to have been brewed in the White House
* Workers in Egypt, who constructed the pyramids, were paid with beer
* Beer is legally defined as a staple food in Bavaria