There are lots of reasons why people look forward to their holidays in the sun as this is the time to achieve that perfect golden tan. Exfoliating body with a loofah and using a light tanning lotion a week before holidays can do wonders.
A woman embraces nature. (HT Brunch Photo)
To avoid looking like a lobster on the return flight, femalefirst.co.uk has compiled its top tips for developing a healthy glow this summer.
1. Preparation is key: A sun-tanning regime doesn’t just start the moment you step off the plane. Make sure you exfoliate your body with a loofah or body scrub to remove the dead skin cells. Apply moisturiser all over, paying special attention to dry areas such as elbows and knees. Repeat daily until it’s time to set off for the airport.
2. Get a base: Get a base level of tan before you even arrive at the beach. This way, you will avoid those blinding white legs the first time you don your bikini and it gives you a bit more breathing room to build your tan slowly and safely. Use a light tanning lotion or a moisturiser with fake tan in it for a week or so before you go to give your skin a nice glow.
Read: 5 simple ways to keep summer acne at bay
3. Stay safe in the sun: Protecting your skin against the sun is essential, whether you intend to tan or not. Sunblock will provide full protection and sunscreen or sun cream will blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays, and will allow you to develop a tan over the course of a few days. Ensure you protect your skin and don’t skip on skin safety - apply sun cream generously 15 minutes before you go out in the sun or before you take a dip in the sea and keep applying it throughout the day.
Read: Skincare tips for this summer
4. Look after your skin: Enthusiastic sun-seekers often make the mistake of staying out in the sun all day, every day, and doing little to look after their skin afterwards. Taking a cool shower when you’ve been out in the heat can do wonders for re-balancing your skin’s temperature. Invest in a special after-sun product that will cool the skin after a day in the glare of the sun.
5. Fake it: If all else fails, you can always fake it. There are countless tanning products out there nowadays, from tanning mousse to spray bottles. If you’re not confident about applying an all-over tanning lotion yourself, you can get a friend to help with those awkward-to-reach areas.