More than 2000 people from Uttar Pradesh were still missing in Uttrakhand where several thousands people were killed in flash flood and heavy rains last month.
The special secretary home Rakesh Chandra told journalists that a fresh list of 534 missing people was sent to Uttrakhand government on Tuesday. He said a total number of 2098 people from UP were missing in Uttrakhand. Thus half of the missing people in the disaster hit state are from UP. The chief minister Uttrakhand Vijay Bahuguna recently said that nearly 4000 people were missing in the state.
Chandra said the earlier the UP government had sent a list of 1564 missing people and with today’s list the number had gone up to 2098.
The principal secretary (home) RM Srivastava in a statement said that the government had been making all efforts to trace the missing people. He said the list of missing people had also been sent to concerned districts for verification. He said number of missing people was rising everyday.
Immediately after the natural calamity hit Uttrakhand, the state government had constituted a cell under home department to collect data of missing people from all over the state. Srivastava said names had been crosschecked before being sent to Uttrakhand government.