AI pilot abandons take-off after engine snag | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

AI pilot abandons take-off after engine snag

lucknow Updated: Aug 21, 2010 16:19 IST
Anupam Srivastava
Anupam Srivastava
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

An accident was averted when the pilot of Air India Lucknow-Delhi flight IC 412 aborted take-off as he headed the craft towards the runway on Saturday morning at 10.30 am. The pilot killed the engine instantly when he reported heard a thud. He guessed it to be a tyre-burst, but later it turned out as an engine snag.

There were 137 passengers on board the Airbus 320 and all were evacuated to the passenger lounge. They were given alternative flight at 3.30 pm.

It was a big thud when the flight IC 412 of Air India soon after it fired its engines on Saturday morning at 10.30 am for taking off. The pilot on hearing sound instantly killed the engine.

Airport Director, Lucknow, Atul Dixit says: “The flight was an hour behind its schedule. Then the pilot was given a go ahead but no sooner the engines were started, there was some snag in one of the engines. There was a thud that shook the aircraft”.

Dixit said that the pilot was quick in killing the engine and added: “There was was no tyre burst. It was the engine fault that could be noticed much before the aircraft was ready for a take-off. No one was hurt.”

Station in-charge of Air India Sujeet Kumar swung into the action. All the 137 passengers aboard were brought to passengers’ lounge and were informed about the snag and alternative arrangements that would be made for them to take them to their destination. They were provided breakfast once they all settled in the lounge.

Kumar said, “A team of engineers was deployed to rectify the engine fault and make the plane fit to fly. But another aircraft was being arranged to take the passengers to fly them to Delhi.”

However passengers of the plane were not amused with the delay in the flight. Laxmi Ramnath, one of the passengers said: “We arrived here at 7.40 am as we were asked to arrive before two hours of flight timings of 9.30 am but the flight was delayed by an hour when we boarded the flight. Then this snag cropped up. We heard the thud and felt the aircraft tremble. Inside the plane we were told tyre burst, but at the lounge they told us it was an engine fault”

Another passenger Manisha Singh who had to catch the connecting flight to Tiruananthpuram was worried about both—missing the connecting flight as well as refunds. She said, “Now who will refund the money of my flight. Would they?”

S Ramnath another passenger complained about food at the lounge. He said, “ We were offered just sandwiches and a mango drink while we needed some lunch.”