The death of an Amity University girl student sparked off protests here on Malhaur campus in the state capital on Wednesday.
The students alleged that the girl--a hosteller died of jaundice caused by the contaminated drinking water supply. However, the university authorities denied the allegations.
The girl, Aimen Javed, a B.Com (first semester) student died in a Kanpur- based nursing home where she was diagnosed with jaundice.
After the news of her death reached Lucknow, scores of students of the university started assembling on the varsity premises, shouting anti-administration slogans, the agitating also sought permission for holding a candlelight march in protest against the death.
"She was diagnosed of jaundice which was because of the contaminated drinking water provided in hostels. It should be investigated," a student said.
Reports said that Aimen was on leave between November 9 and 16. When she returned on November 17, she was taken ill. She went back to her home in Kanpur. There she was admitted to a local nursing home where she breathed her last on Wednesday morning.
The university officials, however, denied the charges and termed the death as normal. "It is a tragic loss. There are over 6,000 students studying in the university. All consume the same drinking water,"
A Chaubey, university public relations officer said. The students' gathering was dispersed at 2pm.