Husband murdered woman bank official

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Lucknow
  • Updated: Dec 19, 2014 15:02 IST

The husband of assistant bank manager Ritu Srivastava, 30, whose body was found in the jungle near the army firing range in Razman Bazaar on Wednesday, turned out to be the killer.

The police on Thursday claimed that the deceased’s husband had killed the woman to grab her property and money. He was arrested after the cops collected sufficient evidences against him.

“The deceased’s husband Pawan Tiwari was the prime suspect since the beginning, as the victim’s purse, in which she kept the bank’s keys, was recovered from a car which he was driving,” said circle officer (CO) of Cantt Babita Singh. “Besides, he did not even inform the police about her disappearance until the deceased’s colleagues alerted cops, as the bank keys were with her,” the CO said.

She said Tiwari was grilled rigorously on Wednesday night during which he confessed to the crime. She said, “He was planning to eliminate Ritu for the past one month, as she opposed him every time he wanted to invest money according to his plan. The deceased did not trust him, as he was a drunkard and often squandered money on wrong things”.

The CO said the deceased had a spat with her husband when he had invested around 2lakh in shares through his elder brother and lost the entire amount a few months back. She said the accused had taken that money from her on the pretext of purchasing a plot.

She said the deceased had become little cautious in handing him money and made her younger brother Sahil Srivastava, (who stayed with her) her nominee.

She said Tiwari apparently believed that she would slowly transfer her assets to her younger brother, so he planned to murder her to grab the property and money. She said the deceased had around 25 lakh in her bank account and the accused believed he would get the entire money after her death.

Earlier, the deceased, who was assistant manager in Nainital Bank’s branch on Nadan Mahal Road, had gone missing on Tuesday after she left for her house in LDA colony on Kanpur Road at around 6 pm. Her body was later found in the jungle on Wednesday morning.

The deceased’s younger brother was apprehensive that his sister had landed in some trouble since Tuesday night, as she was not answering her phone. He made at least 110 calls to his sister but she did not answer, as she was dead by that time.

He got suspicious about his brother-in-law’s role when the accused told him to go to sleep and said that now they would have to live with just each other, as his sister was not going to return.

also read

Shivpal offers resignation to quell Yadav family feud, Akhilesh skips SP meet
Show comments