LU teacher sells off property to foot medical bills | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

LU teacher sells off property to foot medical bills

lucknow Updated: Feb 16, 2013 12:37 IST
Rajeev Mullick
Rajeev Mullick
Hindustan Times
Associate Professor

An associate professor of Lucknow University had to sell off his property to foot medical bills, as the relevant rules don’t empower the varsity to sanction reimbursements.

The teachers argue when the state employees have this facility then why cannot the university teachers have this medicare protection.

Associate professor with LU Udai Narain Sinha may have suffered financial losses but he is now fighting for entire teacher community at large. He says, “Meerut university is making reimbursements through its own resources. Why can’t LU do it at least in extreme cases?”

Sinha has been working at the university since 1982. He has been associated with Ancient Indian History and Archaeology Department. The associate professor was diagnosed with Hepatitis B virus in September 2011. He was admitted to KG Medical University. Having received no proper attention there, he was taken to SGPGIMS, where Dr Gour Chaudhari and his team saved his life.

“I am now better and working. The treatment is still on. I called on the university authorities for medical reimbursements when the medical expenses swelled to R1.5 lakh. But, the authorities expressed their constraints and referred the case to UP government as if government is a charitable organization. With no options left, I was forced to dispose of my property,” Sinha said and detailed how he sold off his 160/44 Muhalla Kashidera, Mushakganj Rakabganj, Lucknow property to person at throwaway prices.

He alleged that the LU Teachers’ Association did not give a proper response. But LUTA chief Vinod Singh says, “V-C G Pattanaik is aware of all this. We hope that he will address this specific case and consider to moot a proposal to the government for free medical facilities.” Sinha says, “I wrote to secretary UP handicapped welfare department for help but in vain. I have filed an application with the court of Commissioner Disabilities on February 13, 2013.”