Mayawati approves memorial force, sans Governor’s nod | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mayawati approves memorial force, sans Governor’s nod

The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet on Friday approved a proposal for the immediate recruitment of 1200 ex-armymen for the protection of BSP memorials in Lucknow and Noida. Masoodul Hasan reports.

lucknow Updated: Apr 03, 2010 00:26 IST
Masoodul Hasan

The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet on Friday approved a proposal for the immediate recruitment of 1200 ex-armymen for the protection of BSP memorials in Lucknow and Noida.

The Cabinet meeting, presided over by the Chief Minister Mayawati, took the decision to go ahead with the recruitment process without further waiting for the clearance of the State Special Zone Security Force Bill-2010 or subsequent Ordinance for this purpose pending with the Governor BL Joshi for the last more than a month. The Governor has reportedly some reservations over the Bill, which provides extreme powers to the proposed force.

Addressing journalists Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh said that the government had executive powers to make such recruitments for the protection of the monuments.

“The recruitment of ex-army personnel for the purpose has nothing to do with the Bill”, Shekhar Singh said adding the government would wait for the Governor’s decision on the Bill.

However in view of pendency of the Bill the new force would not be able to enjoy the authority like power to arrest, search, and seizure without warrant. They would simply be guarding these monuments. At present home guards have been deployed for this purpose.

After the State assembly passed the Bill, it was send to the governor on February 18, 2010 for clearance. On March 26, the government making some amendments in the Bill forwarded an Ordinance for promulgation. But there was so far no response from the Governor House.

“We have no communication or discussion with the Governor on the issue”, Shekhar Singh said.

He said the government as per ex-armymen recruitment policy would appoint 1200 men with a retired Colonel to head the force. He said the retired Colonel would be given matching rank in the police. The Principal Secretary (Home) Kunwar Fatehbahadur Singh has been asked to complete the appointment process within a month.

Singh said immediate recruitment had become necessary because of threat perception to these monuments. It would entail an annual expenditure of around nine crore on the state exchequer. Shekhar Singh said raising of a separate force was also necessary to avoid additional burden on the state police.