The blaze in a bicycle store near Hanuman temple in Aminabad on Saturday morning has raised the ‘burning question’ again – are safety norms being thrown to the winds in this market place?
Had the incident taken place during daytime, there would have been loss of life too, said locals.
The area continues to be vulnerable to such incidents as violation of building norms and construction of basements in narrow lanes still remain unaddressed. Worse still, encroachments in lanes and bylanes have little or no room for fire brigades to pass through in case of an emergency.
Besides, ‘networks’ of hanging wires in the lanes of this market area are potential deathtraps. In 2011, authorities had planned to rid Aminabad of such wires, but the area continues to face this problem.
- ‘Networks’ of hanging wires in the lanes of this market area are potential deathtraps. In 2011, authorities had planned to rid Aminabad of such wires, but the area continues to face this problem.
- Aminabad continues to be vulnerable to such incidents as violation of building norms and construction of basements in narrow lanes still remain unaddressed.
- Worse still, encroachments in lanes and bylanes virtually have no room for fire brigades to pass through in case of an emergency.
However, LESA general manager Ashutosh Kumar said that the area where the fire incident took place has underground wiring network – the only overhead wires are the ones that are connected with the box of LESA for connection to shops and other business establishments.
“It’s unfortunate that people start blaming LESA for any sort of fire incident,” he said.
Local trader Suresh Chablani said, “Traders are the main losers in case of fire. Besides safe wiring, they have been demanding a fire station in Aminabad for a long time. But both demands have not been met.”
After the facelift of Hazratganj, the traders had demanded renovation of Aminabad on the same pattern, but very little was done. “It seems only Hazratganj and Chowk are the priority areas for authorities,” lamented locals.
“A fire station can come up only if land is given to the fire department. However, a fire tender is always kept ready in Aminabad for such incidents,” said AB Pandey, chief fire officer.
Authorities said traders are themselves to be blamed for incidents of fire. Nearly all shopkeepers in Mohan Market, Pratap Market and Mumtaz Market have made basements without caring for fire safety norms. Moreover, many still draw electricity through ‘katia’ connections in Pratap Market, which is one of the busiest markets of the city, added officials.
The growing number of encroachments in Aminabad is also a big problem. The ultimate sufferer is the common trader as movement of vehicles during peak hours is badly affected due to encroached lanes.