UP IPS officers back after apology | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 29, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

UP IPS officers back after apology

Written apologies from the 25 IPS officers, held responsible for irregularities in recruiting constables, have been reinstated, reports M Hasan.

lucknow Updated: Nov 26, 2007 04:01 IST
M Hasan

Written apologies from the 25 IPS officers, who were held responsible for irregularities in recruiting constables in the police and provincial armed constabulary (PAC) during Mulayam Singh Yadav regime, finally paved the way for the revocation of their suspensions.

The reinstated police officers have admitted in writing that they had done so under political pressure. In a statement issues on Sunday the state government said "all these officers accepted their mistakes and apologized to Chief Minister Mayawati in writing".

The officers, who met the chief minister on Friday to explain the situation during the recruitment of 22000 constables in 2005-2006, told her that they were under immense political pressure. The suspension has been revoked after nearly two months. The Mayawati government wanted to prove that the police job scam was under direct political patronage of the Mulayam regime and the IPS officers' admission of guilt has helped her to achieve her goal.

The government had suspended the officers on the recommendations of an investigation committee headed by additional director general (ADG) Shailja Kant Mishra, who has now been appointed as ADG power corporation and security. The government said that his transfer had nothing to do with the Friday blasts in Lucknow, Faizabad and Varanasi.

The government said that Mishra had been given an important responsibility of UPPCL and Security. The STF for all operational purposes had been brought under the command of ADG (law and order) Brijlal.

Shailja Kant in his reports had recommended for action against IPS officers and dismissal of all the recruits. The government had thereafter sacked 18000 newly appointed constables. Large numbers of them have now moved High Court challenging the dismissal.

A statement issued by the state government said, "Only the suspension orders had been withdrawn but departmental as well as other legal proceedings would continue."

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature