Uttar Pradesh police on Friday defended its investigation in the Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case saying it had not filed chargesheet against anyone and the probe was still at a preliminary stage when it were handed over to the CBI.
"The CBI on Friday said that it had not found any evidence 'as of now' against Rajesh Talwar and the UP police which was earlier investigating the matter had not filed any chargesheet naming him," IG Bhanu Pratap Singh told newspersons in Lucknow.
On the UP police failing to reach Krishna, who has emerged as the main accused in the CBI inquiries, the IG said that the investigations were transferred midway .
"Had the UP police completed its inquiries it would have definitely reached the real culprits," he said.
Holding that CBI has neither made any adverse comment against the UP police nor alleged that evidences had been tampered with, Singh said that the state police cooperated with the CBI at every stage and the case diary had also been submitted.
The IG said the case is now under judicial scrutiny and the court would decide how it had been investigated by the different agencies.
The IG parried all questions on whether action would be taken against the officials investigaing the case saying that the matter is now before the court and it will decide on it.