UP pressures centre for full RTE funding | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

UP pressures centre for full RTE funding

lucknow Updated: Apr 05, 2010 20:10 IST
HT Correspondent/Hasan
HT Correspondent/Hasan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The BSP government today mounted pressure on the UPA government for 100 per cent funding of Right to Education scheme in the state. The government has also launched drive to mobilize the support of other states on the issue.

Addressing journalists in Lucknow on Monday Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh said the Chief Minister Mayawati had already drawn the attention of the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh over the provision of 100 per cent funds because it was centrally sponsored scheme.

Under the RTE Act the centre has promised 55 per cent fund and remaining 45 percent is to be arranged by the respective states.

Asserting that the Chief Minister was committed to development of education sector, Singh said Mayawati had expressed concern over unfortunate charges against UP government by some prominent people.

It may be mentioned that Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, while referring to the Rs 18000 crore demand of the state for the implementation of RTE made certain comments against BSP’s memorials and parks.

Singh said since the RTE was a serious matter, the Chief Minister felt that it should not be treated superficially. He said MP, Punjab West Bengal, Bihar and Karnataka had also approached the centre for 100 percent funding of the project.

He said an impression had gathered ground as if the UP government was opposed to the scheme. Singh recalled Mayawati had extended full support to the Bill when it was tabled in Parliament. However Mayawati had then also laid stress on funding process. The Chief Minister had also written letters to the Prime Minister on October 26, 2009 and April 3, 2010 demand for full funding. However so far there was no response from the UPA government, Singh said.

Singh said since the centre had enacted the law it was its moral responsibility of provide full funds. The government also pointed out that the Bill was passed in August 2009 but was implemented from April 1, 2010, which indicated that the evil intention of the centre. “It should have been implemented immediately so that private schools could also be brought under the scheme from the current session” commented an IAS officer in Chief Minister office.