Woman set ablaze by two UP cops after rape bid in Barabanki dies | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman set ablaze by two UP cops after rape bid in Barabanki dies

lucknow Updated: Jul 07, 2015 11:47 IST
Gaurav Saigal
Gaurav Saigal
Hindustan Times


A 40-year-old woman died on Tuesday of injuries sustained when she was allegedly set on fire by two policemen after they attempted to rape her in a police station of Barabanki district.

“The woman died at around 4 am,” said Dr Ashutosh Dubey, medical superintendent of the Civil Hospital in Lucknow where the woman was being treated.

The woman was brought to the burn unit of the Civil Hospital after doctors in Barabanki referred her to a better centre because of her severe burn injuries.

“The woman had near total (about 100%) burns and her condition was serious when she was brought here,” said Dubey.

Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav pn Tuesday said a magisterial probe has been ordered while senior minister Shivpal Yadav said the guilty will not be spared.

The incident occurred in Kothi police station on Monday and two policemen – station house officer (SHO) Rai Saheb Yadav and constable Akhilesh Rai – have been suspended.

The woman told Barabanki’s district magistrate Yogeshwar Ram Mishra the policemen doused her with petrol and set her on fire after trying to sexually assault her.

The incident took place when the woman, a resident of Gaha village, went to the police station to enquire about her husband, who was said to have been detained by police. The woman’s son is a journalist with a local Hindi daily.

One of her family members said the woman’s husband was allegedly detained in connection with a recent clash.

“One Ganga Ram of Simran village was injured in a group clash two days ago. The police lodged an FIR against three persons but they fled the village,” the family member said.

Unable to trace the people involved in the clash, the police picked up a relative of one of the accused from Gaha on Sunday morning. When he did not return home, his wife went to Kothi police station on Monday morning and urged police to release her husband.

There was a heated exchange between the woman and policemen who refused to entertain her request.

In her statement recorded by the naib tehsildar, the woman said, “Station house officer Rai Sahab Yadav and constable Akhilesh Rai took me into a room in the police station. They snatched my jewellery and tried to outrage my modesty. When I raised an alarm, the cops poured petrol on me and set me afire.”

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature