The charred body of an 18-year-old girl was found in the bathroom of her house at the EWS Colony, Chandigarh Road, on Tuesday. The victim, Nisha, was a Class-10 student. Her parents are labourers.
The matter came to light when neighbours saw smoke emitting from the victim's house, and heard her parents screaming. When they rushed to Nisha's house, they discovered that she had burnt to death, following which the police were informed.
When cops reached the spot, the victim's family claimed that Nisha was electrocuted. However, police said they did not find any electric wire in the bathroom. They suspect that killers after murdering the girl, tried to dispose of her body by pouring kerosene and setting her afire.
Inspector Paramjit Singh, station house officer (SHO), Division Number 7 police station, said, "The victim's parents claimed that after returning from school, Nisha went to the bathroom on the first floor of the house. Thereafter, her mother, who was on the ground floor, heard a thud upstairs. When she went to the first floor, she saw smoke emitting from the bathroom, and on opening its door was shocked to see Nisha lying charred."
The SHO claimed that there was no electric wire which could have electrocuted Nisha. Besides, they noticed smell of kerosene in the bathroom, which indicated that she was burnt to death.
"Moreover, there were no signs of struggle. Even the buckets in the bathroom contained water. Therefore, the victim seems to have been set afire after being murdered," the inspector said, adding that the police had got some clues and would solve the case soon.
A case of murder has been registered against unidentified accused. But police have not ruled out possibility of an acquaintance behind the murder. The civil hospital doctors, who conducted the post-mortem examination, have sent the viscera to laboratory for medical examination to discover the cause of death.