Fifty-nine children fell sick after eating a 'special' mid-day meal served to them on Independence Day at a government primary school in village Balapur of Sehore district.
It was learnt that soon after eating the meal, the children started vomiting and 59 of them had to be hospitalised at Ichchwar Civil Hospital.
Barring the eight children whose condition worsened and were shifted to Sehore district hospital, the rest of the children were discharged from Ichchwar hospital after treatment. Doctors Saturday declared the condition of the eight children as stable.
The district administration has decided to file a complaint with the police against the self-help group (SHG) responsible for cooking the mid-day meal, after detecting negligence on part of its staff.
Also, the services of the SHG— Sairam Group — have been suspended, district panchayat chief executive officer RR Bhonsle told HT.
Education authorities have suspended one of the teachers of the school, while salary increments of four others have been withheld, district project coordinator of Rajya Shiksha Kendra Ashok Paradkar has said.
An education official, wishing anonymity said the SHG staff fried puris in non-edible oil as they fell short of cooking oil, putting children's lives at risk.
Meanwhile, a similar incident was averted when a SHG staff member suspected the presence of pesticide in sugar and potato that were ingredients of the mid-day meal for 180 children at the government primary school in Kavala village, Betul district, on Independence Day.
The woman staff member after tasting the meal had started vomiting and told officials that sugar and potato smelled of a pesticide.
Headmaster Jivat Singh Sirsamin, in presence of the villagers, handed over a sample of sugar and potato to the police for chemical examination.
In charge of the Athner police station Omprakash Yadav said action will be taken after the test report of sugar and potato samples is received.