Competitions themed on I-Day to infuse patriotism among Delhiites
Jashn-e-Azadi is a two-week long festival to celebrate Independence Day and has competitions for youngsters every year.more lifestyle Updated: Jul 03, 2016 19:00 IST
Patriotic fervour has taken over Delhiites already. In the run up to August 15, a city-based NGO Nehru Singh Bal (NBS), has opened entries for various competitions, which it organises every August as part of the festival Jashn-e-Azadi.
Youngsters aged between 14 to 19 can participate in competitions such as on-the-spot painting, chorus singing and music band/orchestra competition. “Independence Day is truly a national festival, which needs to be celebrated by each and every Indian,” says Ashok Sahota, president, NBS.
He says that the purpose of organising this festival is to make people aware that August 15 is much more than just a holiday. “It’s a day to rejoice and we should celebrate it like any other festival, rather than just enjoying it as an off.”
In its fourth edition, the festival will add patriotic fervour to the city dweller’s lives through a two-week long extravaganza, from August 2 to 15. “We will also have flash mobs at various places in the city,” informs Sahota adding that the focus is on youngsters because if they understand and engage in the celebrations around Independence Day, then others will follow too.
While the painting competition will be themed on portraits of freedom fighters or incidents of freedom struggle, the band competition will feature around 20 music groups battle it out for attractive cash prizes.
This year, South Korea is a partner and will showcase its rich culture, during the event. Those interested in participating, can send in their details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Quizzes/Screening of Video Films, August 2 – 8, Various schools and colleges
2. Conceptualised and choreographed audio video dance, August 9, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
3. Painting Competition, August 10
4. Dance competition based on patriotic songs, August 11, India Islamic Cultural Centre, Lodhi Road
5. Chorus singing competition, August 12, India Islamic Cultural Centre, Lodhi Road
6. Orchestra Competition, August 13
7. Dance competition, August 14 and 15, Cyber City, Gurgaon and Central Park, Connaught Place