Film, theatre, music: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
A curated list of events to attend this weekend.HT48HRS_Special Updated: Nov 17, 2016 15:09 IST
A curated list of events to attend this weekend.
FRIDAY, November 18
1) Food and drink: Coastal Adventures: Travel along the southern coast of India with these dishes — southern fry (batter fried calamari, coconut crusted prawns), Kerala bao uthappam (beef fry served with bao uthappam), and Udipi beet cutlets (rava-crusted beet and potato cutlets), among others.
Where: Monkey Bar, Summerville, Linking Road, Bandra (W); Call: 2600 5215; Price: Rs 1,800 onward for two people ; When: 6pm to 1am
2) Screening: Lost In Translation: Director Sofia Coppola’s classic film features a faded movie star and a neglected young woman who form an unlikely bond after crossing paths in Tokyo. The film stars Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson.
Where: Matterden CFC, NM Joshi Marg, Lower Parel; Call: 2492 3396; Entry: Rs 250; When: 6pm to 1am
3) Art: Kalaa Spandan: A group of 15 artists, including Arun Kumar Samaddar, Ankita Shah, Anup Mitra, Anuoshka Tejuja and Alex Rodrigues showcase their works across paintings, sculptures, photographs and artifacts.
Where: Nehru Centre, Worli; Call: 2496 4676; Entry: Free; When: 11am to 7pm
SATURDAY, November 19
4) Theatre: Barff: Set in Kashmir, during the winter, the play is a thriller based on the parents of sick child and a doctor questioning the concept of life, reality and dreams. Starring Sadia Siddiqui and Sunil Palwal, it is directed by Saurabh Shukla.
Where: Bhaidas Auditorium, near Mithibai College, Vile Parle (W); Call: 90041 98854; Entry: Rs 200 onward; When: 9pm
5) Music: Soul City: Musicians Bill Brewster, 2Sensitive, and Lobo Cop will collaborate for a night of soul, funk, and disco.
Where: Bonobo, Kenilworth Mall, off Linking Road, Bandra (W); Call: 2605 5050; Entry: Free; When: 9pm
6) Theatre: Toye — A Devised Piece: An experimental piece based on a script by theatre veteran Girish Karnad, Toye tells the tale of Yavakri — a warrior from the Mahabharata. Yavakri is consumed by his love for Vishakha, and hatred for her husband Paravasu.
Where: Sitara Studio, off Tulsi Pipe Road, Elphinstone (W); Call: 2422 1666; Entry: Rs 500 onward; When: 8pm
7) Workshop: Green Essentials: Get tips on maintaining a healthy soil culture, designing a winter garden, germinating seeds, raising nursery seedlings, and keeping pests and diseases at bay.
Where: St Andrew’s Auditorium, Saint Dominic Road, Bandra (W); Call: 99606 43245; Entry: Rs 1,600 per head; When: 10am to 1pm
SUNDAY, November 20
8) Food and drink: Super Sundays: Catch the Barclays Premier League action with a side of beer and fiery chicken wings, jalapeno cheese cigars, Caribbean shrimps, and rum-spiked lamb chops.
Where: Raasta, Rohan Plaza, SV Road, Khar (W); Call: 86550 00811; Price: Rs 700 onward; When: 4pm to 1.30am
9) Travel: Adventure Sports: Go paragliding this weekend. Experience the thrill of flight and learn the technique of manoeuvring the parachute and safe landing.
Where: Tandem Paragliding Flight, Kamshet, Pune; Call: 86920 86927; Entry: Rs 5,000 per head; When: 5.30am (assembly time)
10) Food and drink: Paowalla Brunch: Enjoy a New York-style brunch featuring Indian flavours such as pao bhaji porterhouse rolls, toor samosa chat, and tava shrimp and calamari, among others.
Where: The Bombay Canteen, Kamala Mills, SB Road, Lower Parel; Call: 4966 6666; Price: Rs 1,600 onward for two people; When: 11am to 4pm