Food, theatre, travel: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
Your weekend is sorted!HT48HRS_Special Updated: Oct 27, 2016 15:08 IST
Friday, October 28
1) Halloween special: Get spooked: Choose from special cocktails — Grim Reaper (infused cinnamon whiskey with a citrus mix), Witches Brew (cold coffee, vanilla vodka and citrus-infused liqueur) and Butterbeer (spiced rum and cream soda, with toffee and caramel), among others. Pair them with crispy chicken with sweet paprika, Sri Lankan spiced chicken poi and fried calamari.
Where: The Sassy Spoon (Bandra and Nariman Point); Visit: facebook.com/thesassyspoon
Price: Rs 2,000 onward (for two people); When: 12pm to 7pm
2) Diwali special: Festive menu: Enjoy platters of raw mango with corn nachos, beans chipotle, smoked salmon crostini, and charcoal-cooked chicken. Wash it down with cocktails such as the Mumbai Local (carrot juice and Tequila), and Friendship Punch (mix of vodka, gin and rum).
Where: Terttulia, Shivaji Park, Dadar; Call: 6002 0202
Price: Rs 1,400 onward (for two people); When: 11.30am to 1.30am
3) Theatre: Mughal-e-Azam: The iconic 1960 movie debuts on stage as a Broadway-style musical. Directed by Feroz Abbas Khan, the play will retain original hits, such as Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya and Teri Mehfil Mein.
Where: Jamshed Bhabha Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Price: Rs 500 onward; When: 7.30pm
4) Screening: Short Film Night: Don’t miss these stellar short films — Thirst, by Clark and Keith Rivers, about what water means to different people; Parigot, by Mehdi, Loic, Axel, Geoffrey and Alexandra, follows a hobo in Paris looking for food; and Hit and Run, by director Jordan Liebowtiz, on the lives of low-level drug dealers after a car accident.
Where: The Pantry, Kala Ghoda, Fort; Call: 2270 0082
Entry: Free; When: 8pm onward
5) Art: Graphite: Five artists — Amalesh Das, Atish Mukherjee, Pradip Maiti, Ranjana Mukherjee and Sushmita Ghosh — will showcase paintings and sculptures across mediums. The themes range from nature and urban life to divine and demonic myths.
Where: Jehangir Art Gallery, MG Road, Kala Ghoda; Call: 98308 87111
6) Theatre: Loretta: Set in the ’70s on a river island in Goa, this play narrates the story of attachment to one’s cultural roots, and the need to keep evolving with the times.
Where: St Andrew’s Auditorium, St Dominic Road, Bandra (W); Call: 2641 0926
Price: Rs 500 onward; When: 7.30pm
Saturday, October 29
7) Halloween special: Game night: Enjoy multiple rounds of build your skeleton, Halloween bingo, crafty paper boo, and check out some spooky decor this weekend. Sip on apple pie-infused tea, ginger-spiked apple and pear muddle, and lemonade splashed over rosemary, cucumber, mint and lime.
Where: Copa, Anna Building, opposite Juhu Gymkhana, Vile Parle; Call: 3996 7490
Price: Rs 1,500 onward (for two people); When: 8pm onward
8) Food and drinks: Diwali delights: Worried about shopping for festive gifts? Choose from frangipani and badam halwa jar, assorted brownie boxes, signature dessert jars, and a range of cookies, muffins, fondants and tea cakes, among other dishes.
Where: Country Of Origin outlets (Nepean Sea Road, Bandra, Juhu); Visit: countryoforigin.in
Price: Rs 1,000 onward; When: 10am to 10pm
9) Travel: Lakeside Camping: Make your way to Bhandardara this weekend to get away from the city’s buzz and the excessive Diwali noise. Situated near Igatpuri, the region boasts of a pristine water reservoir called Arthur Lake. Get a hands-on experience on how to pitch a tent and build a campfire.
Where: Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (assembly point); Call: 86920 86927
Price: Rs 3,000 per head; When: 9.30am (assembly time)
Sunday, October 30
10) Travel: Weekend Getaway: MTDC brings you a quiet Diwali escapade. Get to Mandwa by ferryboat, and continue by sea to Murud Janjira Fort. Catch a tour of Birla Mandir on Revdanda-Murud Road and walk along the scenic beaches of Alibaug, Nagav, and Kihim.
Where: Gateway of India (assembly point); Visit: maharashtratourism.gov.in/touroperator
Price: Rs 5,419 (for two people); When: 7.30am (assembly time)