10 tainted road contractors in Mumbai to be blacklisted | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

10 tainted road contractors in Mumbai to be blacklisted

He also said the BMC has introduced 17 new road contractors, who have bagged works worth Rs1,000 crore, since May last year

mumbai Updated: Dec 01, 2016 00:32 IST
HT Correspondent
The civic chief also identified 455 locations where potholes are formed every monsoon and has directed the deputy municipal commissioners and ward officers to fix them.
The civic chief also identified 455 locations where potholes are formed every monsoon and has directed the deputy municipal commissioners and ward officers to fix them.

Civic chief Ajoy Mehta, announced on Wednesday in a standing committee meeting, that 10 contractors, who are likely to be named in a detailed inquiry report for their shoddy road work, will be blacklisted.

He also said the BMC has introduced 17 new road contractors, who have bagged works worth Rs1,000 crore, since May last year.

The civic chief also identified 455 locations where potholes are formed every monsoon and has directed the deputy municipal commissioners and ward officers to fix them.

After the first phase of the road scam inquiry report was out in May, in which 34 repaired roads were inspected, Mehta had ordered the the six contractors who did the work be blacklisted. An FIR was also filed against these six contractors. Despite this, the six contractors are currently overseeing 150 road works worth around Rs1500 crore. There are 10 other contractors against whom action is now likely after the second inquiry report of 200 roads is out.

“Currently, 326 road works are in progress and we have managed to get traffic permissions for almost all these roads. However, the traffic police have requested not to carry out work on more than 300 roads at a time. The contractors involved in irregularities will not be spared and strict action will be taken against them,” Mehta said.

Mehta said Rs908 crore has been withheld from the payment meant for the 16 contractors implicated in the road scam. While breaking this amount down he said the road’s crust layer, worth Rs572 crore, was not laid out as per the tender conditions. The BMC has also withheld Rs117 crore as transportation charge and Rs62 crore worth of excavation was found to be irregular. The remaining Rs156 crore has been held for security measures so that no malpractices are carried out in the ongoing road works.

Corporators, however, said the road works have not begun on all city roads and the contractors are still holding the city to ransom. Rais Shaikh, Samajwadi Party group leader, said, “Why is the civic body delaying the roads report? And the road works at a majority of the places has not even started.” Another standing committee member and Congress corporator, said, “The roads department has given false information to the civic chief and there is no traffic permission for all the roads.”

Meanwhile, the civic chief also stated tenders worth Rs64 crore are likely to be placed in front of standing committee before the code of conduct kicks in, to repair bad road patches at 455 locations.