26-year-old Mumbai woman and her toddler electrocuted at home during breastfeeding | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 24, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

26-year-old Mumbai woman and her toddler electrocuted at home during breastfeeding

Woman was sitting on the window sill and touched the iron grill, which was in contact with a live wire from the Diwali lights; older child screams for help and alerts neighbours

mumbai Updated: Oct 23, 2017 11:43 IST
Jayprakash S Naidu
The woman’s older child started crying and screaming for help, which alerted the neighbours.
The woman’s older child started crying and screaming for help, which alerted the neighbours.

A 26-year-old woman and her two-year-old son died after being electrocuted in Goregaon (West) on Friday night. The incident occurred when Priyanka Bharti was sitting on the window sill in her home to breastfeed her child Prince and touched the window’s iron grill, which was in contact with a live wire from the Diwali lights.

The Vanrai police said the incident took place around 8pm in their home, which is on the third floor of a MHADA building in Bimbisar Nagar in Goregaon (West). Priyanka lived there with her husband and two children — Prince and their six-year-old daughter, who was present in the room when the incident occurred.

As soon as they got electrocuted, the six-year-old started crying and screaming for help as her mother had stopped responding. The neighbours heard her cries and rushed to their home. They were taken to the hospital but were declared dead. The police said it was an unfortunate incident and no one can be blamed. A case of accidental death has been registered.