40-year-old woman is third victim of leptospirosis in Mumbai | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2018-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

40-year-old woman is third victim of leptospirosis in Mumbai

The woman, a resident of Guru Tegh Bahadur Nagar, had to wade through accumulated rain water regularly

mumbai Updated: Jul 28, 2017 00:22 IST
Aayushi Pratap
People are a high risk of catching the disease when they wade through flooded streets.
People are a high risk of catching the disease when they wade through flooded streets.(HT FILE)

A 40-year-old woman died of leptospirosis last week taking this year’s toll to three.

Leptospirosis, mainly a monsoon disease, is caused by leptospira bacteria present in urine of animals such as rats, dogs and cattle. When people wade through flooded streets, there is a high chance of them coming in contact with such infected urine and fecal matter.

The woman, a resident of Guru Tegh Bahadur Nagar, had to wade through accumulated rain water regularly. A civic official said she had fever and muscular pain and was initially admitted to a private hospital in Chembur.

A total of 49 cases of leptospirosis have been reported this month in the city.

“It is not difficult to treat patients with leptospirosis. We were able to reduce the mortality by identifying patients with symptoms in the initial stages and treating them,” said Dr Padmaja Keskar, executive health officer, BMC.

“Once we identify which areas are reporting cases, the health staff can easily survey the areas and identify patients,” she added.

Meanwhile, 538 cases of swine flu or H1N1 infection have been reported in the city this month.

Swine flu has been a major public health concern in the state this year and has killed at least 25 people in Mumbai and 345 across the state.

Doctors are worried that H1N1 cases are being diagnosed late as the symptoms overlap with those of the common cold.

“If symptoms such as fever, cough and cold last for more than four days, one must see a doctor and avoid self-medication,” said Dr Om Srivastava, an infection disease specialist.