5 things you didn’t know about the iconic Gaylord restaurant in Mumbai
Happy 60th birthday Gaylord!mumbai Updated: Nov 16, 2016 19:49 IST
As Gaylord completes 60 years this week, we take a look at some little known facts about the iconic restaurant.
• Gaylord was opened by Delhi-based food entrepreneurs Pishori Lal Lamba and Igbal Ghai of the Kwality Group. They had earlier opened Kwality Restaurant in Connaught Place in New Delhi in 1947.
• Originally, the restaurant didn’t have a mezzanine floor. It was added only in 1986.
• Bollywood celebrities such as Raj Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, BR Chopra, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle were regulars.
• Music director duo Shankar-Jaikishan had a table reserved for them and would visit every evening for a cup of tea.
• The restaurant received the Best Restaurant in Western Region award from then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee for the year 1997-98.