63% sexual assault survivors in Mumbai in 2015 were juveniles: Praja report
Total number of cases registered under the Protection of Children under Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act rose to 448 in 2015 as against 339 in 2014mumbai Updated: Nov 15, 2016 01:00 IST
A study of sexual assault cases in the city revealed the grim reality that at least 63% of the survivors in 2015 were juveniles, and the number rose from 56% in 2014, revealed the study. The total number of cases registered under the Protection of Children under Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act rose to 448 in 2015 as against 339 in 2014. Among the 448 cases, 13 were of incest, which also recorded a rise last year from eight incidents in 2014.
“Several factors are involved behind the rise in cases of sexual assaults, and most of the accused in such incidents turn out to be known persons. We have been demanding separation of law and order from crime for effective policing,” said Nitai Mehta from Praja Foundation.
The study revealed that most of the survivors were between the age of 12 and 16. About 190 survivors in 2015 were in that age group, figures revealed. The other most vulnerable age bracket, the study revealed, was between 16 and 18 years of age, in which had 174 cases were reported in 2015. Also, 26 survivors were below the age of six. The study mapped all the 712 rape cases registered in 2015, a rise from 609 cases in 2014.
“There is increased awareness among the women, and that is one of the reasons of rise in number of rape cases because the reporting has gone up. However, it is not the sole indicator and crime is also rising in the city,” said Milind Mhaske from Praja Foundation.
Speaking to HT, Mumbai Police spokesperson Ashok Dudhe said, “I will have to study the report before commenting.”