Boy suicide: IAS officer transferred | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Boy suicide: IAS officer transferred

mumbai Updated: Sep 08, 2016 00:09 IST
Faisal Malik
Faisal Malik
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story


Bhagwan Sahai, the senior IAS officer, who has been making headlines after being accused with insensitive behaviour with his subordinates, has been transferred to the general administration department (GAD) on Wednesday.

Sahai had been appointed as the additional chief secretary (Administrative Reforms, Organisation & Methods) in place of PS Meena, who retired recently. The post is termed as “side posting” in the corridors of power.

Bhagwan was sent on compulsory leave for his alleged ill-behaviour. He has been accused of allegedly denying permission to his subordinate joint secretary Rajesh Ghadge to leave for home early, after which the man’s teenaged son committed suicide.

An inquiry has also been constituted against him for not allowing Ghatge to leave early on August 11, despite his son threatening to commit suicide.

Ghatge was in office on the fateful day when his son gave him a call. The boy sounded restless and asked his father to come home quickly. The anxious father approached Sahai, his senior for permission to leave early, only to be denied so and with an added command of not leaving the office premises before his hours were done. Ghatge could not go home despte repeated calls from his wife and the son later killed himself.

Following protest from state government employees, Sahai was sent on 12-day force leave on August 19. His compulsory leave was later extended for seven days. Sahai was serving in the agriculture department.

Chief secretary Swadheen Kshatriya, who is conducting the probe against the senior IAS officer, confirmed that Sahai has been transferred to GAD. When asked about the investigation, he said, “The probe against Sahai is still on. I will not be able to tell when it is going to be completed.”