Hot and sweaty in Mumbai? Beat the heat with these crazy ice cream varieties
1. Best place for savoury ice creams:Not for the faint of heart. Papacream offers Cheddar Cheese and Jalapeno Ice Cream with spiced nachos, Thai Ice Cream Sushi, and Pani Puri sorbet.
Shop 18, Cambatta Building, Churchgate; Call: 6517 7272; Rs 450 onwards (for a half litre tub)
2. Blue cheese ice cream: Started by two Le Cordon Bleu-trained chefs, Caramel Carousel offers combinations like Blue Cheese and Honey, Milk Chocolate Bacon, and Dark Chocolate Truffle (made with mushrooms). Ice creams are made with organic milk and are free of preservatives.
Savia Building, Rebello Road, Bandra (W); Call: 98336 45888; Rs 600 onwards (half litre tub); Rs 900 for dark chocolate truffle (half litre tub)
3. Liquid nitrogen ice cream: 301*F, the pan-India liquid nitrogen ice cream parlour serves creamlettes, or a roll of ice cream. It is made at a live counter, within a couple of minutes. “When ice creams are stored in a freezer for six to eight hours, water molecules form ice crystals. But our methods are rapid and water molecules barely get time to crystallise, resulting in creamy ice creams,” claims Deepak Nihalani, co-owner. Try unique combinations like Banoffee Pie and Choco Peanut Butter.
Bandra, Kandivali and Ghatkopar; Call: 98208 54485; Rs 150 onward for combination ice creams
4. Artisanal ice creamL Ice creams at artisanal ice creamery Sucres Des Terres are made using fresh milk, fruits, and in small batches. “Most products are hand-processed,” says owner Kunali Chandaria-Dattoobhai, who has studied at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris. Try the Sweet Heart Lemon Tart (lemon sherbet) and Dark Side of Ginger (dark chocolate and candied ginger).
Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli; Call: 99209 85880; Cost: Rs 650 onward
5. Vegan ice cream: Started by Samir Prasad, a vegan practitioner, and Hemali Gala, a raw food chef, Vegan Bites launched a range of dairy-free, handcrafted gourmet ice creams. They offer a Raw Cacao with Cacao Nibs, mango and blueberry. Sugar-free variants include Choco Almond and Fig Walnut, sweetened with dates. They are currently working on flavours like Mint Spirulina and Moringa Chia seed.
NM Joshi Marg, Lower Parel; Call: 76665 86430; Rs 450 onward (500ml tubs)