Couple held for kidnapping two-year-old from CST | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Couple held for kidnapping two-year-old from CST

mumbai Updated: Sep 01, 2016 00:35 IST
Saurabh Joshi

The CST GRP registered a case of kidnapping and acts of common intention.(HT File Photo)

A team of the Government Railway Police’s (GRP) crime branch arrested a couple in connection with the abduction of a two-year-old girl from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) station on Saturday night.

The accused, Vijay Hari Baswant, 25, and his wife Supriya, 21, worked as labourers. They said they kidnapped the baby after witnessing an act of domestic violence between the mother and child, said officials.

The couple, natives of Mangaon, were working at a construction site at Wadkhar Naka on the outskirts of Panvel, from where they were arrested by a team of officials including Santosh Dhanwate, Rahul Karbhari and Raju Mahanor on Tuesday night.

“Five teams of the railway crime branch were formed to crack the case,” said Niket Kaushik, GRP commissioner, while addressing reporters.

The accused spotted the child, who was with her mother Vaishnavi Dhawase. The two were waiting for a train to Nagpur, which would arrive the next morning. They had left their home in a slum in Four Bungalows as Vaishali wanted help her daughter escape from her alcoholic father who tortured them.

“When we questioned the accused, they said the daughter looked beautiful and hence they wanted to take her away and give her a better life. However, this seems to be a farce. The couple was at CST to travel to Nagpur by Geetanjali Express,” Dhanwate told HT.

The investigators traced their location with the help of a tip-off based on CCTV camera footage. The officials have got custody of the couple and plan to interrogate them. The investigators are also investigating the couple’s background to see if they have other cases against them.

The child was reported missing early on Sunday after her mother failed to find her around 4.20am. The CST GRP registered a case of kidnapping and acts of common intention. Following the kidnapping, the accused took a taxi to the Masjid Bunder railway station, from where they boarded a harbour train.