The 30-year-old daycare centre help who allegedly assaulted a nine-month-old girl on November 21, was produced before the judicial court on Sunday and has been remanded in police custody till December 4.
The 34-year-old owner of the centre and she were arrested on Thursday and booked under sections 325 (punishment for voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the Indian Penal Code and section 23 of Juvenile Justice Act, 2000. While the owner was released on the same day, the help was remanded to police custody.
After the infant’s parents met Madhukar Pandey, joint commissioner of police on Friday, the police applied a charge of attempt to murder and sought custody of the help so they could interrogate her.
“The help stayed at Borivli before shifting to Kharghar. She is a divorcee and has a ten-year-old son. So far, we have not found records of criminal activity on her part. We will interrogate her to find out more as she has been remanded in our custody now,” said Dilip Kale, senior police inspector of Kharghar police station.
When asked if the help was suffering from psychological issues — as reported by certain media — Kale said the police had not found evidence of this.
The owner is yet to appear before the court, though she has been asked to do so.
“After applying the charge of attempt to murder, the court had issued a notification asking her to be present before it. We put up the notification on the door of her flat, which is now locked. We gave a copy of the notification to her father. If he does not act accordingly, we will ask the court to cancel her bail so we can rearrest her,” Kale said.
The infant’s father told HT that she is now stable, but still scared of women. “She stopped vomiting on Friday, but she is neither eating, nor sleeping properly now. She is still scared of women as the help who assaulted her was a woman,” he said.
Daycares in state to be regulated: CM
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis assured the family of the nine-month old — who was brutally beaten by a help at a crèche in Navi Mumbai — that he would help them. He also said regulatory mechanisms will be introduced at all crèches and play schools across the state. The infant’s family met Fadnavis on Sunday to ask for strong action to be taken against the guilty parties. They also requested him to fast-track the trial. The CM said the incident disturbed him and he would personally look into it.