1. The river Savitri’s catchment area in Mahabaleshwar received heavy rainfall leading to the river swelling. The increase in flow and speed is likely to have caused the bridge to collapse.
2. The bridge was an old, colonial-era bridge. There had been a new bridge built parallel to it. But, buses, trucks and cars continued to use this bridge as state government had not closed it to traffic.
3. There are at least 22 people who are missing, after two State Transport buses fell into the water and got swept away by the current. This includes two drivers, two conductors and 18 commuters. The registration numbers of the two buses are MH20 BN 1538 and MH40 N9739. The identity of the drivers and the conductors has also been confirmed as S S Kamble, V K Desai, G S Munde and P B Shirke.
4. Both buses were coming from different parts of Konkan to Mumbai-one from Rajapur and the other from Jaigad and commuters were largely from the city.
5. State and Central governments in coordination, are pressing various agencies into rescue operations. Currently, two teams of National Disaster Relief Force with 40 jawans are on the job, equipped with 6 boats and divers on the team. The Coast Guard has started rescue operations too, pressing at least two choppers into service.