Mumbai’s infrastructure seems to be rapidly evolving — from stations being renamed to the first U girder being launched for the 16.5-km-long Metro 7 corridor. The BJP recently demanded that Marine Lines railway station be renamed Mumbadevi. Meanwhile, commuters were inconvenienced when work on the Metro 7 corridor, expected to be operational by 2019, led to the western express highway being shut for five hours.
Two Mumbaiites found themselves in the news recently — security guard Rakesh Shukla for fending off a jackal attack, and author Shobhaa De for her column on Egyptian Eman Ahmed.
1. Mumbai security guard attacked by jackal fights back, is bitten thrice before escaping
A security guard who was attacked by a jackal in Ghatkopar (East) on Monday night fought back and was able to defend himself despite being bitten thrice.
2. Mumbai commuters face hassles after WEH shut for 5 hours, get Metro-7 girder as reward
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis put the Metro-7 corridor – Andheri (East) to Dahisar (East) stretch – on the right track on Tuesday by launching its first U girder.
3. Shobhaa De does it again: After fatshaming MP cop, comments on Eman, gets flak from docs
After fatshaming Madhya Pradesh policeman Daulatram Jogawat, author and columnist Shobhaa De has now written on Egyptian woman Eman Ahmed’s case in a column in a Mumbai tabloid.
4. Oshiwara to Ram Mandir; Grant Rd to August Kranti: Politicians’ local touch to Mumbai landmarks
After the Maharashtra government’s proposal to rename Elphinstone Road as Prabhadevi and naming of Oshiwara as Ram Mandir, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wants Marine Lines railway station to be renamed Mumbadevi.
5. Nigerians top list of foreigners held for drug smuggling in Navi Mumbai
Nigerian nationals have topped the list of foreigners arrested for drug smuggling in Navi Mumbai over the past five years. According to the sources from the anti-narcotic cell of Navi Mumbai police, a total of 66 narcotic related cases were registered between 2012 and April, this year in the city. Nigerian nationals were involved in 14 of these cases, the police said.