Nine-year-old Aurangabad boy in Mumbai hospital after game of kho kho leaves him immobilised
Charan Salve, who has a rare blood condition called haemophilia, is now being treated at Mumbai’s KEM Hospital for nerve damage, and cannot sit or walk yetmumbai Updated: Oct 11, 2017 12:01 IST
A game of kho kho has left a nine-year-old boy from Sillod in Maharashtra’s Aurangabad district immobilised as a result of severe neurological injuries.
Charan Salve, who has a rare blood condition called haemophilia in which blood does not clot, leading to severe bleeding, is now being treated in Mumbai, after his condition worsened.
On September 19, Charan, a Class 3 student, suffered severe internal bleeding in his spinal cord after his classmate hit him hard on his back while playing kho kho. He returned home complaining of severe back pain, but his parents did not connect it to his blood condition. “We kept an ice pack on his back to relieve pain,” said his mother Ashwini Salve, 33.
When the pain did not subside after two days, his parents took him to a local doctor, who directed them to a larger facility in Aurangabad. By then, Charan could not move his limbs.
After a two-hour journey to a hospital in Aurangabad, the nearest big city, the Salves consulted doctors who asked them to get a sonography and MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) done to determine whether there were internal injuries. They did not give him medication that could have stemmed the bleeding, said Charan’s father, Vishnu, who works as a mathematics teacher in a local school. “The doctors said the treatment would cost up to Rs 1 lakh, but gave us no guarantee that he would get better.”
The parents said they got no advice on what to do, so they decided to bring their son to KEM Hospital, Parel, the nodal centre for treatment of haemophilia in Mumbai. They reached the city on September 22.
At KEM, doctors gave Charan medicines immediately and also operated on his spinal cord to remove a blood clot. “Bleeding in the spinal cord is very rare. We see only 1-2% patients with bleeding like this,” said Dr Chandrakala S, head of haematology department, KEM Hospital.
If Charan had been given medication within 12 hours of the injury, he would not have suffered any neurological damage, the doctor said. Charan is now able to toss around in his hospital bed, but he is unable to sit up or walk. “The bleeding has caused significant nerve damage. We have to wait and see how he recuperates,” she said.
Haemophilia is rare condition, with an average of 277 new patients being recorded every year in India. “There is lack of awareness about the need for immediate medication for haemophilia patients. This case emphasises the importance of early treatment,” Dr Chandrakala said.