Heavy rain adds to city’s water stock, woes

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Jul 30, 2016 01:26 IST
A car driver finds his way through a waterlogged street on Friday. (Vijayanand Gupta/HT )

The heavy rain over the past two days has brought the available water stock in the city to more than nine lakh million litres, which will suffice for 225 days, said civic officials.

Till Thursday, Santacruz recorded 1,491.5 mm rain, higher than last year’s average of 1,439.5mm till July 28. Colaba has till Thursday recorded 1,154.8mm rain, compared to last year’s 1,122.55mm.

The rain, however, led to waterlogging at 38 spots and 39 tree falls between Thursday and Friday. With heavy rain through Thursday night, 10 locations in the city, including Andheri, Wadala, Mumbadevi, Borivli, Dahisar and Dindoshi, recorded more than 100mm of rain between 1am and 8am on Friday. Waterlogging was reported at Sion road no. 24, Gandhi market, Hindmata and parts of Wadala and Andheri.

Sudhir Naik, deputy municipal commissioner, said, “New waterlogging spots were not created despite the heavy rain. Our stormwater drain systems are responding well. The catchment areas are receiving good rain.”

The catchment areas of five major water supplying lakes, however, did not receive more than 100mm of rain. Civic officials said with one week of good rain, Tansa may reach its full supply level. Currently, Tansa’s water stock is 126.68m, two meters away from the full mark of 128.63m. Meanwhile, the civic body has received 1,945 complaints of potholes, of which 1,815 have been repaired and 130 potholes are yet to be filled.


Suburban services on the western, main and harbour line of the Central railway were running 5-15 minutes late because of heavy rain, according to the BMC’s disaster control room. A technical glitch, however, affected the services on the trans-harbour line. Suburban services on the Thane-Vashi corridor were stopped for about 45 minutes at Nerul station from 6.40am, owing to a snag in the pantograph of a train, according to the GRP. Services resumed after 7.30am. Trains were running 15-20 minutes late on the corridor before the morning rush hour.

also read

Thane clean-up drive to end on a high note
Show comments