In a first such case in Thane, a 26-year-old doctor from Kalwa hospital died of dengue at Jupiter Hospital on Tuesday.
Dr Dilip Kanse, who was posted at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Hospital also known as Kalwa hospital, was staying in the hostel on the hospital premises. The doctor was admitted to Kalwa hospital on October 23. He was shifted to Jupiter Hospital on October 26 after his condition deteriorated. Doctors said that he died of multiple organ failure.
Dr RT Kendre, medical health officer from Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), said, “On October 22, we got a report about two doctors suffering from dengue.
The next day, we went to the resident doctors’ hostel at Kalwa hospital and inspected the room. We were shocked to find buckets filled with water kept in the room for the past many days. After testing the water, we found mosquitoes breeding in them.”
Some buckets filled with water were kept inside the room and another kept inside the bathroom. They had been kept for more than six days. Dr Kanse was admitted to hospital immediately after he tested positive for dengue.
A day later, his condition deteriorated and his lungs were bleeding. On October 26, he was shifted to Jupiter hospital, which is a private one, but died on Tuesday.